Over the past couple of weeks, several instructors have asked me how they would be able to track students’ activities in their courses. When instructors and teaching assistants start grading student assignments and need to find particular students, the handy Performance dashboard tool enables them to check each students’ progress and to keep them on track. Tucked at the bottom of the Course Management side-bar, it is one of those gems in Connect that is often overlooked.
- Scroll down to the Control Panel in the Course Management menu on the left-hand sidebar of your course. Click on Evaluation and then Performance Dashboard.
- Information is displayed in a table format, with the default columns including Last Name, First Name, Username, Role, Last Course Access, Days Since Last Course Access and Review Status.
- Some extra columns that can be made visible include: Adaptive Release, Discussion Board and View Grades. These will only be displayed if they are enabled in your course
- Follow the row of a student’s name to the column (e.g. Discussion Board) that you want to review.
- Click on the link to navigate you to a summary of the student’s activity and participation in that area.
- Extra special tip: Back in the Performance Dashboard page, you can sort the results in ascending or descending order by clicking on a column header.
Ready to dive in? If you have any questions about Evaluation or the Performance Dashboard tool, or are interested in learning more about tracking and assessing student activity in Connect, stop by our Learning Technology Drop-In sessions on Tuesdays from 12pm-1pm in Scarfe 1008! We’re also available by phone at 604-822-6333 and by email at ets.educ@ubc.
Check out our other ETS Tips!