Mattermost is an open source team chat tool that facilitates communication and collaboration.
- At a Glance: Mattermost Chat (PDF, 38 KB)
This technology is used for course communication, discussion, collaboration, file-sharing, and work within groups. During the pilot we are working to discover, develop, and evaluate ways it can be used to enhance teaching and learning.
- Open source and hosted at UBC
- Create teams for sharing messages and files
- Public channels, private groups, and direct messages
- Real-time and asynchronous communication combined in an “anytime” environment
- All messages are persistent and can be searched
- Can be accessed via the web, desktop, or mobile app
- Custom notifications to suit your needs
Mattermost was selected, and has been piloted within the Faculty of Education since 2016. Learn more about the pilot in the One Year Update post on our blog.
In the past, a chat tool called BB IM was used to facilitate synchronous communication between course members. UBC chose not to renew this license, so a search was conducted for a replacement. An environmental scan and evaluation incorporated pedagogical, technological, usability, and accessibility requirements. Mattermost emerged as the strongest replacement, even better than BB IM in many ways.
If you are interested in trying Mattermost within a course or team, let us know and we will work with you on next steps. Your experience and feedback is especially valuable as we continue to evaluate this tool, and we appreciate your interest.