To prepare for your online presentation using Collaborate, please follow the instructions below:
- Watch a 5 minute presenter orientation video. Note, the video shows how to open a Collaborate session from a course site, you may wish to skip directly to the 0:55 time mark to see the Collaborate environment.
- Prepare a headset and a webcam. Make sure the headset has a microphone.
- Configure your computer. Go to http://support.blackboardcollaborate.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=8336&task=knowledge&questionID=1473 and make sure your computer meets the system requirements. Continue to Step 2 and select “v12.5 configuration room”, then follow the on-screen instructions and run the audio wizard make sure your microphone is working properly.
- Make sure you have the latest version of Java, which can be downloaded from http://java.com/en/.
- Ensure you have steady high speed internet. Go to http://www.speedtest.net/ and run the speed test. Please note connection less than 300kbps will result in poor audio and video quality during your presentation. Wired internet connection is highly recommended. If you must use a wireless internet connection, please consider the following:
- Make sure no one else is using your network during your presentation
- Make sure you are sittng close to the modem.
- Do a practice run. Go to the testing room https://ca-sas.bbcollab.com/m.jnlp?password=M.EE74526A2923F220C4631E3B045C59&sid=2011438 (for Mac users, you would be prompted to download the Collaborate Launcher app) upload your PowerPoint, turn on your webcam, and run the audio wizard, to ensure everything is working properly.
- Log in early. Enter the session at least 30 minutes prior to the start of the session. This should give you enough time to upload your PowerPoint, and run the audio wizard to make sure sound is working properly.
- Close all other applications during your presentation. Also, remember to close “docked” applications such as Skype or desktop background gallery.
Once you are familiar with the Collaborate environment and have configured your computer, you are ready for your Collaborate session. An administrator should have forwarded to you the URL of your Collaborate session.
Contact Collaborate for 24/7 tech support (if your webcam is not showing up, your Powerpoint is not uploaded, etc): http://blackboard.force.com/btbb_publichome?dfprod=Collaborate, then click on “Chat with an Agent” or “Call us”.
Scarfe room 308A is equipped with a webcam and built-in microphones to accommodate a group Collaborate session. To request support in using room 308A, send an email to email@example.com.
- You will not be able to use the Collaborate app to upload a PowerPoint, so please use the desktop version.
Ensure your presentation is in the PowerPoint format. In addition, animations/transitions in a PowerPoint will not show up in Collaborate. If you need to have animations to demonstrate “before” and “after”, put the content on 2 slides instead of using animations on a single slide.
If you are not using a PowerPoint, but you are showing a webpage, Prezi, or a YouTube video, you can do so by using the Web Tour feature. Alternatively or, copy the URL to your material, then paste the URL into the chat area. Then, ask the participants to click on the link. A new window will then open on the participants’ computers and they may view the content on their individual computers.
The uploaded PowerPoint will automatically be erased from the Collaborate room when everyone exits the room.
- If you wish to record the session, remember to click on the “Record” button at the top right hand corner of the screen.