I often receive questions from instructors wondering how they can make sure that all their students see discussion forum posts or any updates in a thread. Students are able to subscribe to discussion board forums and receive email updates whenever instructors or other students have posted in that thread. The email updates will be sent to the email address that students have provided in the UBC Student Service Center.
To make sure that students can subscribe to the discussion board, first edit the forum settings of your Discussion board to allow subscriptions:
- In your Course Homepage, click on Discussion Board from the menu options on the left of your screen.
- Select the down-arrow of the forum you would like to edit.
- In Edit Forum, scroll down to Forum Settings and Subscribe.
- In Subscribe, click on Allow members to subscribe to forum. You also have the option to only include a link to the post in the email or to include the whole body of the post.
- A Subscribe button should now appear on students’ pages.
Now that the Forum settings have been changed, a good next step would be to let students know that they can now subscribe to the forum through an Announcement.
- Select Announcements from the menu options on the left of your screen.
- Click on Create Announcement.
- Once you have completed the Message section notifying about the Subscribe option in the Discussion Board, you can also add a Course Link to direct students to the Forum in question.
- Scroll down to Course Link in the Create Announcement page.
- In the pop-up window, select the Forum you would like students to access and subscribe to.
- Click “Submit” to send out the announcement.
Students should now be receiving updates of any activity occurring in the Forum!
Looking to become a seasoned expert in Connect? If you are interested in learning more about other neat tricks in the Discussion Board or if you want to simplify your life in Connect, stop by our Learning Technology Drop in Sessions on Tuesdays from 12pm-1pm in Scarfe 1008! We’re also available by phone at 604-822-6333 and by email at email@example.com
Check out our other ETS Tips!
You might also be interested in: