You can request UBC Library to digitize specific books chapters for your Connect course using LOCR! Library Course Reserves allows instructors to create a list with all of their course materials. In addition to being the go-to place to add articles, books and web links, instructors can also request the library to create PDFs of book chapters, or upload their own! These readings can also be re-used for other courses or future offerings of the same course, as they are stored in Connect.
In order to access the course reserves:
- Log into Connect with your CWL username and password.
- Access the library: Click on the Library tap in the top right menu in Connect.
- Add content: to browse and select new reserve items, click on the Add Reserve Items tab.
- Search the Library’s Collections: To add a chapter or excerpt of a book you would like students to access, search the Library’s Collections and request a chapter or page range to be digitized and uploaded for your course. Next to Search the Library’s Collections, write a keyword or reading title and click Submit.
- In the pop-up Find Reserves Item screen, write the Title, ISBN, Call Number or the Permanent URL of the reading from the UBC Library Catalogue. Click Go.
- Add the required information: Choose the chapter that you would like the Library to Digitize, and specify the page range and the desired availability of the reading.
You can also access your Library Course Reserves from within your course! In your Connect course shell, look for Library Course Reserves.
You have the option to add multiple types of readings, from PDFs to book chapters and articles.
The photo above shows a course with reserve items already added.
Got any questions about Library Course Reserves? If you are interested in learning more about Connect and LOCR, stop by our Learning Technology Drop in Sessions on Tuesdays from 12pm-1pm in Scarfe 1008! We’re also available by phone at 604-822-6333 and by email at email@example.com. Check out our other ETS Tips!
You might also be interested in: