The App for June is Socrative.
What is it?
Socrative is your classroom app for fun, effective classroom engagement. No matter where or how you teach, Socrative allows you to instantly connect with students as learning happens. Quickly assess students with prepared activities or on-the-fly questions to get immediate insight into student understanding. Then use auto-populated results to determine the best instructional approach to most effectively drive learning.
Why this app?
Use Socrative to promote a more interactive environment in your classroom. Students can share their understanding by answering formative assessment questions in a variety of formats: quizzes, quick question polls, exit tickets and space races. Socrative encourages teamwork and spices up learning with friendly competition among students.
You are also provided with three different ways to interact with your students:
Choose between multiple-choice, true/false, or short answer styles.
- Space Race
Allow your students to work in teams, competing against each other to answer questions.
- Exit Ticket
Get feedback from your students and gather data that can be easily exported.
How does it work?
- Sign up for a free Socrative account at https://www.socrative.com/
- If you wish to use the mobile version of Socrative, download the mobile app on the Apple store. or on the Google Play Store.
- Once you have created your free Socrative account or have logged in, you will see four options to launch: Quiz, Space Race, Exit Ticket, Quick Question.
- Select what you would like to launch and wait for your students to join with the 7-digit code provided in your account.
- To create a new quiz, select the quizzes tab in the top left corner, and click on the “add quiz” button.
- Choose one of the three question types: Multiple Choice, True/False, Short Answer to add a question.
- Once you have all the questions for your quiz, click “Save & Exit” to finish.
- If you choose to launch Quick Question, select the question type, wait for your students to join, and pose your question
- You can easily test out how students see your activities by joining your own activity as a student using the same 7-digit code.
- Once you have finished your activity you can check your student’s performance by clicking the “Results” tab. To get a copy of these results, select “Reports”
What is ‘Socrative’?:
Reinforce what your students learn after a lesson by playing a quick round of Space Race. You can further encourage your students by rewarding the top performance with prizes. The Socrative app is available for download on the Apple store or Google Play Store. While Socrative works on mobile, most functions work best on your web browser at https://www.socrative.com/
What do you think?
Tell us if you like this app, or if you don’t, tell us what app you use instead. Figured out another way of integrating the app into learning? Tweet us @UBC_ETS! We’d love to hear from you.