Adding welcome videos is an engaging way to use media in online courses, as well as to provide students with an introduction to units in your course. In the often isolating environment of an online course, videos can help students realize that their instructor is a real person with enthusiasm for the subject matter and that they are part of a community of learning. You can easily insert videos in course content areas and even record videos from your webcam using Kaltura Media Mashups. To add videos in your course, follow these short instructions:
1. Log into Connect. Log into Connect with your CWL username and password. Search for the relevant course on the Course List Module and click on the link to the course to access it.
2. Choose your preferred Content Area. Once you have accessed your course, select the content area where you would like to add the video e.g. Course Outline from your left-hand course menu. Click on the down-arrow next to the Content Area title. Select Edit.
3. Access Kaltura Media Mashups. From the Edit Content page, look for the Mashups button in the content editor. From the drop-down menu, select Kaltura Media.
4. Upload Media. From within the Search for a Kaltura Media page, click on the Upload media or record from webcam button to add video content to your personal video gallery.
5. In the pop-up window, point to the Upload tab on the left-hand side menu. Click on Browse to find the relevant video or audio file from your computer.
6. Select My Content to search for the appropriate video file from your personal gallery. My Content will show the content that you have previously uploaded in your My Media Course Module.
7. Click on Webcam to film a video directly from your computer webcam and hit to start.
8. Once you have your desired content, click Upload! to proceed.
10. Click Next to advance to the next page.
11. Modify Mashup Options. In the Create Mashup Item page, check Yes next to Show media information to display the name of the creator and the upload date while the video is playing.
To display additional information, including the description and the tags of the video, check Yes next to Show media description and tags.
12. Click Submit. You should now be able to see the video inserted in the content editor.
Looking to learn more about Course Content and Kaltura? Stop by our Learning Technology Drop-In sessions on Tuesdays from 12pm-1pm in Scarfe 1008! We’re also available by phone at 604-822-6333 and by email at email@example.com
Check out our other ETS Tips!
You might also be interested in:
- Create your own Assignment Rubric in Connect with the Rubrics Tool
- Organize pages in your UBC Blog usinig Menus
- Quickly Download Grades from the Connect Grade Center