In the crunch time leading towards the end of the term, TA’s and instructors are often left wondering how to go about weighing students’ grades in the Grade Center. This is especially the case when there are several columns in the Grade Center and their percentages fluctuate significantly. The Weighted Calculated Column is a type of column that generates a grade based on the results of selected columns or categories, and their respective percentages. This column can be set up at any time during the course, usually towards the end. You can change your selections at any time and the calculation will upload automatically.
- Access the Full Grade Center from the Control panel menu on the left-hand side of your screen.
- Select Create Calculated Column from the menu on the top of your screen.
- Click on Weighted Column.
- Write a column name and a description if desired – this name will appear in the Grade Center and MyGrades.
- Choose the primary and secondary displays by selecting one of the drop-down options. The primary display refers to how grades will be shown to students and instructors in MyGrades and the Grade Center. The secondary will only be visible to instructors.
- Select the grading period.
- Now this is the important part: Select columns or categories (each representing assignments) that you would like to add to the Weighted Column. Once you select a column, click on the small grey arrow to drag the column into the empty box on the right of your screen.
- You also have the option to select Categories. For courses with multiple assignments that fall under the same heading, and are therefore worth the same percentage, we recommend selecting categories.
- For each column or category, enter a percentage of how much the assignment is worth. The percentage of all columns must equal 100%.
- Choose whether you would like the Weighted Total Column to be calculated as a running total.
- Click Submit at the bottom right of the page to save your changes.
Got any pressing questions about Connect? If you have any questions about the Grade Center, and are interested in learning more about Connect, stop by our Learning Technology Drop in Sessions on Tuesdays from 12pm-1pm in Scarfe 1008! We’re also available by phone at 604-822-6333 and by email at email@example.com
Check out our other ETS Tips!
You might also be interested in:
- Create your own Assignment Rubric with the Rubrics Tool
- Enable Student Subscription to Discussion Boards
- Organize Grade Center Information by Hiding and Arranging Columns