Rubrics are documents that articulate the expectations for an assignment by delineating the criteria for grading and describing the levels of quality from proficient to novice. They help instructors provide focused feedback, so students are able to take a critical look at their work and identify the areas that they excelled at, and where they can improve. Connect has a Rubrics Tool that enables instructors to create their own rubrics for different assignments- from papers to journal entries!All you need to do is follow the quick steps below.
(View Full Screen for best results)
- Open Course Tools under the Course Management menu on the left-hand side bar of your screen.
- Under Course Tools, select Rubrics.
- In the Rubrics tool, you can see the rubrics that you have already created. You have the options of creating a brand new rubric or importing an existing rubric.
- To create a rubric from the start, click Create Rubric at the top of the page.
- In the Rubric Information section, type the name of the rubric e.g. Paper 1 and write a description.
- The Rubric Detail section is where you will create the rubric criteria. It is organized as a table with a series of columns and rows. The columns show the levels of achievement (Excellent, Competent, Satisfactory, Unsatisfactory), while the rows show the criteria (Organization, Content Knowledge, Grammar and Spelling, References).
- The Rubric Type allows you to choose how to grade student performance (e.g. percent, points). Change the Rubric Type by clicking on the drop-down arrow next to Rubric Type: Percent. You have the option of changing your Rubric Type in multiple ways, but we recommend Percent or Points.
- Add more levels of achievement by clicking on the Add Column button at the top of the Rubric Detail section. To add more criteria, select the Add Row button.
- Change the default column and row titles by clicking on the down arrow next to each title and selecting Edit. Write your preferred title and click Save.
- Enter the weight of the Criteria for the whole grade.
- Click Balance Weights to make all criteria equal.
- Set the percentage/grade of each level of achievement.
- Enter the description of each level of the criterion by writing in the text boxes.
- Click Submit at the bottom of the page to save your changes.
To attach the Rubric to an assignment:
- Click on Assignment Dropbox
- Select the assignment/assessment that the Rubric corresponds to (e.g. Paper 2)
- Click on the down-arrow next to the assignment and select Edit
- Scroll down to Grading. Next to Associated Rubrics, select Add Rubric.
- Click on Select Rubric and choose the appropriate rubric from the options.
- Click Submit to save the changes.
There you go! You should now be able to see the rubric when you grade the assignment in the Grade Center.
Confused as to how to create Rubrics? If you have any questions about Rubrics, and are interested in learning more about Connect, take a pit stop by our Learning Technology Drop in Sessions on Tuesdays from 12pm-1pm in Scarfe 1008! We’re also available by phone at 604-822-6333 and by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Check out our other ETS Tips!
You might also be interested in:
- Set a Static Front Page in UBC Blogs
- Adding Course Links to Announcements in Connect
- Organize Weekly Updates in advance in Connect